Abbey Vocational School, Donegal Town – 6 No. Classroom Extension & ASD Unit
D. Fallon Consulting Engineers (DFCE) have been appointed to the role of Civil & Structural Engineers by the Department of Education and Skills (DoES) to a project at Abbey Vocational School in Donegal Town. This development consists of a single storey extension to existing school which accommodates 6 no. general classrooms and 2 no. ASD units with associated ancillary spaces. As well as site works, works also involve removal of existing temporary classroom accommodation and relocation of existing hard surface playing area. Associated works siteworks include:
- Foulwater and stormwater drainage
- Water supply
- Roads and footpaths
- Retaining walls
DFCE are acting as part of a design team which includes Vincent Hannon Architects (Design Team Lead & Architect), Wallace Whittle Consulting Engineers (M&E Consultants), Albert Strain & Associates (Quantity Surveyors) and Integrated Risk Solutions (PSDP).
Glebe Builders are the appointed contractors on the project. Works commence in July 2021 with works scheduled for completion in August 2022.
Client: Donegal Education and Training Board
- Civil & Structural Engineering Consultancy
DFCE provided an optimal design to the Client which maximised the Civil and Structural efficiency. The design provided ease of construction for the contractor, while still providing a high-quality finish to the development.
DFCE tasks in this project included:
- Civil & Structural Engineering tasks per the DoES standard scope of services
- Design of the stormwater sewers, foulwater sewers and watermain serving the extension
- Civil & Structural design packages for planning, tender and construction stages to ensure works are built in accordance with Building Regulations. This includes substructure, superstructure & roof design in an urban environment with surrounding sensitive buildings.
- Periodic inspections during the construction stage to ensure compliance with applicable Building Regulations & design provided.