Additional Accommodation and Building Upgrades at Coláiste Muire Máthair, Galway City
D. Fallon Consulting Group (DFCG) have been engaged by CEIST to provide civil, structural & employer’s representative services for an additional accommodation and building upgrade project at Coláiste Muire Máthair, Galway City (formerly St. Mary’s College).
The additional accommodation includes renovation of existing rooms into:
- New Technology Room & Technology Preparation Area
- New Music Room
- New Home Economics Room
- New Arts & Crafts Room
- New Staff Room
- New Sanitary WC Facilities (Upgrades for new TGD Part M and Female only Toilets)
The building upgrade works largely involve fire safety and universal access upgrades across what is a large campus containing protected structures. These works include:
- A revised fire safety strategy and associated works defined by the requirements of that strategy including:
- Upgrades to fire doors and screens
- Revised compartmentalisation and escape routes
- A new Fire Alarm and Emergency lighting installation.
- A revised universal access strategy and associated works defined by the requirements of that strategy including:
- New set-down and parking areas.
- New ramps and level-entry accesses.
- New internal ramps and platform lifts to aid horizontal circulation through the building.
- Passenger lifts to aid vertical circulation through the building.
Client: Ceist (on behalf of the Board of Management of Coláiste Muire Máthair)
- Conservation Architecture Services (delivered by Silke Architects through DFCG)
- Civil Engineering Consultancy
- Structural Engineering Consultancy
- Assigned Certifier
- Employer’s Representative
Our delivery on this project includes the management of full design team services. Separate appointments were made by CEIST for Fire Safety & Universal Access consultants (Ryan & Associates), Quantity Surveying (TC Estimating Ltd) and Mechanical & Electrical (Heavey Kenny). Silke Architects delivered the Conservation Architecture brief through DFCG. DFCG provided the balance of services. Project constraints included:
- Works within an existing busy school and campus, whilst minimising disruption to the operations of the facility.
- Works within an existing listed building, thus ensuring adherence to the principles of conservation.
- Significant structural modifications within the existing building, whilst ensuring the structural integrity of the existing building.
- Extensive liaison with the Design Team and Coláiste MuireMáthair to accommodate seamless delivery of a complex and constrained project on time and within budget.