Residential Development at Garrai Caol, Merlin Park, Galway City
D. Fallon Consulting Engineers (DFCE) provided extensive multi-disciplinary services to a new housing development in Merlin Park, just outside Galway City. Garrai Caol is a residential development comprising 53 no. housing units in six blocks. The six blocks contain 51 no. units in a mix of one/ two/three-bedroom apartments and duplex homes. The project also includes 2 no. one bedroom townhouses. The project included associated siteworks including:
- Foulwater and stormwater drainage
- Water supply
- Roads and footpaths
- Retaining walls
The development is due for completion in late 2022/early 2023.
Client: JLH Property Holding Company
- Post-planning Civil & Structural Engineering Services
- Assigned Certifier
DFCE provided an optimal design to the Client which maximised the civil and structural efficiency. The design provided ease of construction for the contractor, while still providing a high-quality finish to the units in the development.
DFCE tasks in this project included:
- Ground investigation on the individual units.
- Design of the stormwater & foulwater sewers serving the housing units and apartment block, including design of the attenuation/ infiltration to serve the stormwater on the site. The foul water works involved a significant road crossing across the Old Dublin Road and connection to the nearby public pump station.
- Full Civil & Structural packages for each block type and Apartment block. These packages were designed to ensure that all units are built in accordance with Building Regulations. This includes substructure, superstructure & roof designs for each unit.
- Periodic inspections of the build during the construction stage.
- Final sign-off for compliance with Building Regulations & Planning Permission for each of the units.